Monday, May 23, 2005

White people, white people, white people everywhere

For the first part of my life, I was the token colored child of the neighborhood. I fulfilled so many Asian stereotypes, like I was good in math and science, was tiny (was being the operative word), and had a weird name. I spent tons of time telling people about my background and fending off ignorant comments. I cannot even count the number of times I had people tell me I speak English really well with hardly an accent. While I know it was meant as a compliment, the truth is I do not speak anything else so speaking English "well" turns out not to be a great compliment. I've also mastered explaining the differences between Chinese, Japanese and Korean people (hint: it has to do with different countries) And no I have never eaten dog.

By the time I was in high school, I was no longer the only person of color. There were in fact 11.5 of us in a class of 68 people. But it is amazing how even with such great numbers, we managed to all stay quiet and play down our ethnic backgrounds. So instead of being a spokesperson, I just pretended just to be like everyone else. That is not to say there was not the occasional reminder such as the incident during our athletic award ceremony. I was a coxswain for the Boy's Crew Team, 1st boat as a matter of fact, and we received an award for being ISL champs that year. As I got up to collect my mini pewter statue, I hear Emily C. Grandmother yell, "Someone help that poor Chinese girl, she doesn't realize it is the boys turn." Ah, yes, there is nothing more insidious than old money prejudice.

College had the pendulum swing the other way. Everyone was uber culturally sensitive. Students practiced Korean drums out on South Lawn. Teachers knew how to pronounce my name. People rushed to my defense at any off color remark. But the truth is this behavior got tiring too. I was starting to feel a little like Goldilocks, everything was a little off. But like Goldilocks, I found a place that was just right, Northern California.

In the Bay Area, race can be a part of you without being all of you. The all around better feeling about race issues really stems from the fact that people of color are out in droves.

After moving back to the East Coast, I really had not thought much about race. I've been working and in my world I was still a majority. But in my recent foray into going out more, I can't but help notice, I'm surrounded by whitey.

This weekend I encountered the largest congregation of white people ever. My friends A, G, and I went to the Avalon to hear the Doves. (Total digression: but it was a most excellent concert. They were really tight and their music is so much better live; richer, fuller, sounds than that captured on CD.) It was an unusual crowd, more massholes than indie rock boys and girls. Many of the girls were hooched up, instead of wearing the layers of t-shirts and heavy black eyeliner. The boys were buff instead of the emaciated sensitive guy you expect at these things. I told A that I thought it was a very odd crowd, much more diverse than I expected. She replied "Not so diverse. They are all white."

Ah yes. A was right that was a common denominator. It got better. Avalon is situated right next to Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox. Just as we were leaving, the Sox game let out too. Families and inebriated men cam pouring out into Yawkey Way. Common denominator between concert goers and baseball fans: all white people. As we walked down Brookline Ave. we passed a huge movie theater with teens outside along with people in Star Wars Costume. Common denominator between concert goers, baseball fans, disaffected youth and nerds: all white people.

The funny thing is that I am no longer worried about race. It doesn't bother me nor do I feel put upon. I just like making the observation: There are a lot of white people in Boston.

2 comments:

evil twin #2 said...

ET #1, are you only coming to this realization now? I thought you were more observant than that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you ET#1. Bostonians (and New Englanders) are quick to judge other areas of the United States where ethnic diversity is an issue but fail to recognize the problem here.