Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Syphilis free?

Guess what? I don't have syphilis.

My hands recently broke out in hives so I went to University Health Services today. Here is an excerpt from my conversation with the Nurse Practioner.

NP:When was you last sexual encounter?

ET#1: Ummm. Let's just say it should not be an issue. Why?

NP: Oh because it could have been syphilis. But even among the most promiscuous, I have only seen one case of it.

ET#1: What?

NP: I think you have atopic dematitis brought on by stress.

ET#1: What if I have some kind of mutant form of syphilis? How can we check? Oh my god, I have syphilis.

NP: [Laughter] You do not have syphilis. I am sorry I mentioned it. It is impossible for you to have it. [Laughter] I guess we should never mention the worst case scenario first. [Laughter, as she sees the panic on my face. More laughter as she sits down at her desk]

I still don't know what the cause of the bumps on my hand, but after consulting a few medical textbooks I am sure it is not syphilis. Whew!

3 comments:

Zandrea! said...

Great! The Summer of Mihee started with a syphilis scare! Hopefully not indicative of further Mihee adventures...

g said...

Oh my god!!! I'm not getting closer to you anymore...No more Mihee...Maybe just some EW before my trip...

Anonymous said...

If you WANT syphilililis however... give me a call any time.