Thursday, May 05, 2005

field trip!


Dali was one weird dude

This past weekend, despite having a mountain of work to do, the boyfriend and I took a little trip to the City of Brotherly Love. Our list of things to see and do included: (i) the Philadelphia Museum of Art to see the Salvador Dali Exhibit, (ii) seeing some old Law School Friends (this is really only on my list, I don't think that the BF really cared either way), and (iii) eating a genuine artery clogging Philly Cheese Steak. I am happy to report that we were able to accomplish all of our tasks.

Philly is a strange town. At times it seems hip and cool, but, unlike Boston, it is comfortable being what it is (in other words, it doesn't try to be "new york"). And at other times, Philly seems like a quaint little town, with great Native American names for everything like Manayunk and Conshohocken. And after seeing M&A's huge 2 bedroom apartment complete with a "sunroom" that rents for less than my rent stabilized studio in Manhattan, it made me long for the 'burbs.

As a child of the 'burbs, I couldn't wait to escape given the chance. But now that I am on the long march towards decrepitude, I find myself longing for trees, grass and sunlight instead of dirty sidewalks, homeless guys that always seem to like me, and the blaring of car alarms. It was great to walk down tree lined streets with M&A and my man... We drove down Kelly Drive, through Northern Liberties and past the Constitution Center and the Liberty Bell. But after seeing the Dali exhibit and trying to figure out how to get back to the train station (there were no cabs to be found), I found myself longing for the chaos of Manhattan. After 20 minutes without a single empty cab, we ended up calling a cab company only to have our cab snatched out from under us and we missed our train. We had to wait for the 11:09 pm SEPTA to NJ Transit Train that got us into NY's Penn Station at 1:20 am. I was dead tired and couldn't wait to get home. The best part about coming home? Being able to hop into a cab at 1:30 am and have it whisk me uptown and back to el barrio no problem.

No comments: