Wednesday, January 25, 2006

uneasy listening

My office building has a baby grand piano in its lobby. During the work week, from noon until 1:30, a pianist plays said baby grand. It's kind of a nice touch. We have different pianists every day of the week. One lady plays strictly classical pieces -- she leans towards the romantics, lots of Chopin and Debussy. My favorite is the guy who plays Irving Berlin and other old standards -- a reminder of my adolescence spent watching old movies on PBS because my parents didn't believe in cable. When I went to get lunch today, the middle aged man who was tickling the ivories was playing a familiar tune, one I couldn't place, until he got to the refrain. It was Always by Atlantic Star. It has been in my head ever since. I don't know how to get it out. It's starting to drive me batty.

2 comments:

Evil Twin #1 said...

sad admission. i could not remember what "always" sounded like. i actually sampled it on itunes. sorry that is stuck in your head. for me it has been "fix you" by coldplay all day.

Anonymous said...

I don't know that song but it drives me nuts when songs get stuck in my head.