Monday, January 09, 2006

A geritrically good time

I've mentioned in previous postings that I have a strange allure to kids, animals, and old people. For instance, let us use last week as an example. On Wedneday at Stop & Shop, an old lady made me pass her cans of Pam off the top shelf as she compared the ingredients. Next to her was a man that was a good six inches taller than me, but for some reason I must have had a better reach. On Friday, a toddler grabbed my hand at the local courthouse. And yesterday on my run, a brown pitbull followed me in the snow for about a mile. I petted him, he whimpered, and then he ran back.

So it should have been no surprise to anyone that my landlord, who is pushing eighty, and his wife, who is in her mid-sixties, think I am peachy keen. My landlord went to Middlesex, a local boarding school, and apparently years ago when rifling through my mail realized that I went to a boarding school too. This revelation was a bonding because in the subsequent time I have heard some very personal stories from this man. His wife, on the other hand, loves me because I am yellow. That's right yel-low. This crazy jewish lady adopted a chinese girl and thinks that I, even though not chinese, could serve as a good role model.

On New Year's Eve, I dropped by my landlord's apartment for some pre party festivities. They had been inviting me all week. While I tried to slime out of the event, I was cornered that morning and promised to drop by for one glass of champagne at 8pm.

When I entered, I was a little surprised. I assumed that they had invited everyone from the buildings. Never assume. Besides, the adopted chinese girls and her best friend, I was at least 35 years younger than anyone there. My landloard poured me a full wine goblet of Pierre Jouette. I sat down next to W, who told me he graduated Harvard in 1959. His wife a local artist was talking to another nice lady about the medicare prescription plan. One couple had just visited the hospital to visit their 5th grandchild. And a widow, asked me if I wanted to drive her car once a week during this cold weather. Luckily, my landlord poured me another goblet of champagne. At 9pm, I got up to leave. I told them I needed to get ready to go out to the city. "Doesn't that sound like fun, remember that time...." W said.

It was a fun night, both with people my age and the young at heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a true gift of bonding with various people. you should feel lucky! (i'm not being sarcastic).