Wednesday, January 25, 2006

one for the thumb

I was back in the 'burgh a few weekends ago to visit my family. It was the weekend that the Steelers beat the Indianapolis Colts. Since then they have proceeded to win the AFC championship by beating the Denver Broncos. I knew that steelermania had hit when my youngest brother woke up early the next morning so that he could watch ESPN -- but then he watched Martha Stewart so all was right with the world. We talked about Troy Polamalu and how he was robbed of the interception. Incomplete pass?? Was the ref blind? OMG, was I actually talking about sports with my gay brother?
As anyone who knows me will attest, I am not exactly what you would call a sports fan. Three years in Boston didn't turn me into a Red Sox fan -- but now that I am in NY, neither am I a Yankees fan. If anything, I suffer from sports apathy. I never thought that the day would come when I would be using my DVR to pause a football game so that I "wouldn't miss anything" and rewinding key plays so that I could watch them again. I wouldn't even allow BF to continue watching the game while I ran into the kitchen to make some tea (no beer, although I did have some pretzels). I found myself cheering and actually jumping off the couch when the Steelers intercepted the ball and calling my family back in Pittsburgh to gauge their and the city's reaction. As an aside, I think that part of why I enjoyed the game so much is because I was watching it on my DVR and skipped the commercials -- it only took about 1.5 hours to watch the game. And, I was able to take breaks to do laundry in between.
For the first time, I am actually looking forward to watching the superbowl and I'll actually care about who wins. Who would've thought this would ever happen? I will be watching Superbowl XL, terrible towel in hand. Go Steelers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Living with a sports fan means that I watch most NFL games these days (on top of the rugby, snooker, cricket, and Arsenal games - thank God he works too hard to watch much TV now). Unfortunately, football starts at 10pm on Sunday night! Anyway, i find that the more I watch, the more I enjoy them. Some vicious cycle.