Thursday, May 18, 2006

Pet Peeve

With the weather getting better, I am seeing more and more women wearing shorts these days. I'm not talking about the athletic shorts that you wear to the gym. I'm talking about formal pants that look like they've been cut off above the knee.
This might be the [un]natural evolution of the gaucho pant (but at least those look comfortable). I have to say that I disapprove. I can deal with cropped pants -- I even have a pair (although at 5'4" my "cropped" pants aren't really that short on me, they skim the ankle). Maybe I'm old-school. Despite what the style section of the NYTimes says, I don't think that anyone should be wearing shorts in the office -- even if you wear a jacket on top. It looks silly. What looks even sillier? The aforementioned outfit worn with pumps/stilletos. Who can pull that off? Well, I guess it's ok, if you want to look like a streetwalker trying to make it in the corporate world. Besides, knees are ugly. Save the shorts for the weekend, people!

Aahhh, I feel much better after venting...

6 comments:

Xtian said...

Knees are not ugly. a good knee is totally hot...having said that I hat these shorts. I want the whole thigh exposed or a just a hint o ankle...there is no middle ground...This perverse fence sitting must end

Evil Twin #1 said...

sadly enough i purchased a pair from bluefly the other day (i think i delusional at three in the morning). i thought plaid long shorts would be cute to go golfing in. however, low rise and golf would probably lead to tragic panty flashing. so yes, they are ugly and non utilitarian.

Zandrea! said...

I am so glad you addressed this. There are serious fashion problems these days. These long shorts are one of them, and the other (even much, much worse) are skinny jeans. I guess I need to start preserving my boot cut jeans, since they will soon be endangered. And what's wrong with just wearing a skirt to the office in summer? sheesh.

evil twin #2 said...

i was saddened to find out that JCrew discontinued the first pair of jeans that I actually like -- the perfect amount of stretch, and their petite style was the perfect length. They have replaced it with a skinnier cut! Also, I've been seeing acid-washed skinny jeans lately. Scary, but true...

Anonymous said...

I agree. Shorts are not appropriate for the office. Are they wearing nylons? Nude legs are not appropriate, either. In "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office" they tell you that nude legs spell S-E-X. Also, no open shoes and painted toes. You come to work to work, not be eye candy for sorts like X-tian.

Evil said...

you know what also spells S-E-X? no panties. (xtian's fav)