Monday, June 22, 2009

Evil Twin #1 versus Craigslist scammers

I'll admit, I have fallen for more than one scam. Ones like, "Evil Twin #1, you are the only girl for me," and "No, I am not dating anyone else."

In my search for an new apartment, I have run into a number of scams. Ones even more tricky than those crafty boys I dated.

So for example, I replied for an ad for an apartment at the Lighthouse. The response asked me to come to a showing of the apartment ready with a credit report in hand. Seems normal. Even ET#2 thought it was legit. The scam was that the website he recommends for the credit report is not legit.
Click to read the email

Some are a little more obvious. I mean any email from Africa has a twinge of suspicion. (Apologies to my scientific collaborators in South Africa. So when you get a grammatically erred email response it raises all sort of red flags:
Click to read the email

But quite frankly, I think some of the scams were quite sophisticated like this one. The woman says she is using a legitimate website to scam you.
Click to read the email

The worst part is that the rent's they are asking for are not that incredible all within normal range. Anyhoo, on with the hunt.

1 comment:

Dugdale said...

I created a rental scam detection tool if anyone is interest in seeing if they are getting scammed.
http://www.pickrent.com/stuff/scamquiz.cfm

Dave Dugdale