Friday, June 05, 2009

The first of many...

Note: Please do not give me crap about my grammar and spelling on this post, as I am rather intoxicated as I type.

My gut kind of hurts from laughing so hard. I probably should be crying, but lets be realistic I am not capable of realizing how ridiculous I am.

Earlier today I convinced the nice quiet girl in the lab next door to mine to go the postdoctoral fellow happy hour. M is adorable, under five foot, Chinese, with a gentle high pitched voice. Anyway considering I did not get to work until 10:30 today, we did not leave the lab until 8pm. When we got to the happy hour, I randomly asked every group there if they were from the NIH. Alas, our group was long gone.

So we drank our Coronas a little disappointed we had missed out on the festivities. "Hey is this your first time here?" said the asian dude in polo shirt.

"Umm yes," I replied

The three of us continued with the same old conversation about work, where we lived, etc.. Mike was a resident starting his periodontist fellowship. I will say that he was adorable like an anime character. He had spiky hair, a baby face, and spoke softly. He kept on leaning into my ear to speak.

When I went to go get another beer from the bar Mike and his buddies disappeared. M told me they went, but I was not really concerned. We decided to enjoy my beer (because M stopped drinking like 4 beers ago since she felt dizzy) outside despite the dreary weather. As we were chatting, Mike reappeared.

"Hey, ET#1, you're back! I just wanted to tell you two that we are eating dinner 4 blocks away. When you are done here you should come join us."

"Oh thanks, " I replied.

"I know this is a strange question, but did you know any people that graduated from Stuyvesant? I know some of them went to Columbia." He said.

"Of course I do, " I said.

"What year did you graduate," he asked.

"1998" I replied. This is the moment I saw fear in his eyes.

"Wait did you go to Stuyvesant?" He asked.

"No," I said, "I went to high school in Massachusetts."

"You graduated college in 1998?" his voice was an octave higher.

"Um yes and you" I asked

" I graduated from Styuvesant in 2001." he sort of choked. I saw him taking a few steps back. "Well I need to get back to my friends." he said.

"Nice meeting you," I said. And off he went.

Poor thing. It must have taken a lot of balls to come back and invite us out to dinner, only to find out how ancient we are. I hope this does not scar him for life. As for me, I cannot stop laughing. I have never seen anyone run away so quickly after bad news.

3 comments:

Evil said...

i graduated from stuvesant in 1994! doh. that means my 15th high school reunion is coming up. eeeek.

stephanie said...

ET1- you are too good for this boy. Since men are less mature than women, you should always date someone a few years older than yourself. That kid knew it and knew enough to run away before he embarrassed himself.

evil said...

why is this post called "the first of many"? what does that refer to?

evil twin #1 should consider dating women. broaden her scope a little bit. it's 2009, baby!