Friday, March 03, 2006

Scavengers

My group has a meeting every Thursday morning. They lure us to this meeting by having a selection of assorted fruits, pastries, juice and coffee -- a pretty nice spread. There is always a lot of food left over so a coworker (CW) and I always bring the trays of food down to our floor and leave them in the pantry. My question -- Why is it that whenever there is any free food available the secretaries are always the first ones to snatch it up? It's like they have a sixth sense about these things. It's really quite amazing. CW jokes that she feels like Mother Theresa when we bring the food down -- within 5 minutes, the secretaries swoop down and take everything, even the garnish. This morning, there was some free breakfast, how did I know? Because I saw all the secretaries heading toward the pantry. But, this time, I beat them to it and grabbed a bagel and some fruit before it was all gone.

2 comments:

Evil Twin #1 said...

secretary = grad student ?

I would like to see who would be quicker in a race for free food, grad students or office assitants. I think the students have the edge just because we are generally younger and more desperate especially towards the end of the month when our stipend runs out and we are forced to eat rice and eggs for three days in a row.

Zandrea! said...

I notice that after a weekly lunch I coordinate for the med students, the administrators rush in and collect the chips first, followed closely by the cookies...the sandwiches and salads linger all afternoon. Of course, since I set up the lecture, I get very first dibs.