Monday, March 13, 2006

Musicals (From high school to Broadway)

I have always had a fascination and love for the musical. When I was in the fourth grade, I played Robin in the "Runaway Snowman." Although technically it was the lead role, my singing part was reduced to one line in Kumiko's solo "Give a Little Love Each Day." My line came tragically warbly and off tune. That is what happens, when Mr. Welle, the music teacher, casts parts according to volume rather than talent. I'm grateful that the moment was captured on Beta.

As I grew up I realized I was blessed with many gifts, but music, dancing and acting were definitely not included in this package. So in high school as co-prefect of the AV squad, I watched from afar as I sound-mixed and lighted those more talented than I. And if I could not be a part of the show, at least watching one gave me a great amount of joy.

So it is no surprise that I have been addicted to the PBS series "Broadway: An American Musical." Elderly actors describe Time Square in the 50's. Shirley MacLaine tells a story how she got a part as an understudy and wowed Cole Porter. I'm sure it has been on for a while, but I only started watching it this week.

On Tuesday night, I saw the opening night of "Spamalot" at the Colonial Theater. It was okay, funny, crude like a Monty Python movie. But unlike many plays I go to, there was nothing to talk about afterwards. No "can you believe," or "I loved that part when." It was just entertaining for those 3 hours.

What had lasting entertainment was "High School Musical," Disney Channel original. You may have read about it in the New York Times last month, or not but ask your 10 year-old niece and I guarantee she knows what it is. On Friday, with a friend who prefers to remain anonymous, I watched it over a steamy styrofoam container of Thai delivery. Not only was it "High School Musical" but it was the "High School Musical Dance-along." Throughout the movie, the main actors gave step-by-step instruction to the final dance sequence so that the audience could dance along with the movie. (A total side note: Lucas Grabeel, the slightly effeminent foil, is a fantastic dancer, far superior to the leads, and I can't wait to see him on Broadway someday.) While the story was incredibly implausible, the acting over-the-top, and the title completely unimaginative, the movie was incredibly infectious and discussion worthy.

It is Monday, and I cannot stop singing "We are all in this together," the final number in the movie. I am even thinking of purchasing it on iTunes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

makes me want to go karaoke.

evil twin #2 said...

I still have to watch this. I will have to program my DVR...