Monday, September 26, 2005

Should I get ESPN now?

Boston is a masculine town. It is filled with Irish bars, and too many sports teams. There are the Celtics, the Bruins, the Patriots (Foxborough is close enough), and of course the beloved Red Sox. As much as you want to avoid caring, conversations of sports seem to be everywhere. The boys at work swap stats, strangers in parks high five each other as they listen to their AM radios, and women in the Copley Mall restroom chat about the Boston College football game. What is a girl to do? Give in.

That's right. I'll admit to the fact that the first thing I did when I turned out my computer last night was to check the following 1) Cowboys vs. 49ers (this I would have checked this no matter where I lived) 2) Highlights of the President's Cup (this is more for my father who is obsessed with golf) 3) Red sox vs. Orioles, Yankees vs. Jays 4) Pats vs. the Steelers (was sure they were going to choke as I heard the game at the security guard station as I was signing out of work yesterday.)

On Friday, I went to the Bruins game. The announcer was explaining the new rules and then it hit me. I did not even know the old rules, so the changes were kind of lost on me. The guy next to me told me the game was going to be so much faster and didn't I think that was great. I just nodded my head. His daughter was taking her cues well and clapped every time her dad made a move. I asked her if she was enjoying her pretzel, she said it was good and then moved her head directly to the game. Two beers later, even I was getting into it. Fight! Fight! Fight! I yelled. Just kidding. That would not happen no matter how many beers I had.

As I was watching the news last night, I felt myself kind of wishing I had ESPN so I could see better highlights of all the games played. Thank God "Sex and the City" is in syndication now. Although I normally find the show vapid and irritating, it was exactly what I needed to inject a little estrogen back into my life. I fell asleep to images of Manolo Blahniks and cosmopolitans, not a ball or puck in sight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean... I have been watching rugby and Formula 1 every weekend. I draw the light at cricket, though!