Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Happy Birthday, America!

I always seem to end up in Beantown for the 4th of July. This year was different in that instead of lazing around on the Esplanade watching fireworks and waiting for the cannons to be fired in time to the 1812 overture, Evil Twin #1, BCM, SKY, and BCM's coworker and I decided to challenge ourselves by hiking Mt. Liberty in New Hampshire. When Evil Twin #1 and I agreed to do this hike, we had no idea what we were in for. BCM had e-mailed us a link to the area and it looked great on their website. What we didn't know was that it would be pretty much straight up and straight down--no switchbacks--and super rocky. So rocky, in fact, that I had to retire my hiking boots (which I've had since senior year of college) because the soles got totally shredded.

As Evil Twin #1 will confirm, I was pretty much crippled on Sunday, the day after our hike. My body went into a state of shock since I am about as active as a slug these days. It was so bad that I had to use the curb cuts when crossing the street because my legs threatened to buckle beneath me as I stepped up onto and down off the curb. It was really bad. Despite all that, I was able to enjoy another all-American pass time on Sunday: shopping. And I'm not talking about a quick stop at a store. It was a marathon session of shopping up and down Newbury Street, at the Basement, in H&M and at Marshalls. Shopping is a full time job. We started at 9:30 at Flour Bakery in the South End, and fueled by the world's best doughnut and a BLT, we kept going until around 6:00 pm. Oh, and I was in 2.5 inch wedge espadrilles the entire time. Evil Twin #1 says that because of this, "[Evil Twin #2] is not weak."

Evil Twin #1 shopped for baby clothes and I shopped for my first old lady bathing suit. Shopping in the Juniors section of the Swimwear Department is enough to make one consider buying a mumu. It was a thoroughly demoralizing experience. I ended up with a black Calvin Klein onepiece that Evil Twin #1 helped me pick out. I have a feeling that if I wear it, I will also be sporting a sarong to cover up certain "problem areas". After our day of shopping (and watching some of the Beauty and the Geek marathon) we met up with BCM and SKY and BCM's little bro for a beer near Washington Square. We chatted and reminisced over our Magic Hats and BCM took us for one last spin in Maxine (the Maxima we rented).

The next morning, Evil Twin #1, Zandrea and I grabbed breakfast before Evil Twin #1 and I did a little more shopping. Evil Twin #1 found some very flattering jeans and I walked away empty handed. We headed back to 109 St. Paul and Evil Twin #1 packed me some snacks for my train ride home. When I got home, there was an extended display of "unauthorized" fireworks through out "el barrio" from 8:30 until around 1:00 am. It truly was a fantastic 4th.

No comments: