Monday, June 12, 2006

Leaving on a jet plane

Dear Readers,

For those of you who do not know, I will be in Japan for the next two months.

Hiroshima is now called the city of peace, although I am pretty sure that being blown to bits had a lot to do with that name. It is home of the Hiroshima-yaki, an especially delicious japanese savory pancake. The baseball team the Toyo Carp are super fantastic, and even made it to the Japan Series three times. It is the center of Mitsubishi manufacturing. And soon the host for two american visiting scientists.

In an effort to foster closer ties and collaborations withe scientists around the world, V and I will be working at Hiroshima U for the summer. I am of course full of intrepidation as I don't want to single handedly reinforce every bad image of the loud american woman. But some things cannot be avoided. Wouldn't it be weird working in a place in which no one spoke your language...wait that is the one thing of which I have plenty of experience.

There are other things that are frightening too. like the earthquake that just hit the south. Nothing happened but I thought I left all that stuff when I moved to the East Coast.

I say a lot of things in jest, but the truth is that I hope in the coming weeks I have some interesting adventures and stories to report. Maybe it will be like "Lost in Translation," "Shogun, " or "The Seven Samurai." Or more likely my experiences are not likely found in any movie. There will be very mundane lab work mixed in with some quality touristy things.

Wish me luck on my 11 hour flight to Tokyo, followed by my foray into mastering the Japanese rail system. Hopefully, late Thursday night I will be in Hiroshima. Guess you will have to wait and see.

Sincerely,
Evil Twin #1

No comments: