Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Big things and little things - Japan series #2

Warning: This post would be a lot more amusing if I could just get my pictures uploaded properly.

So I was calling this post big and small things because I have a picture of my toilet, and it has a big flush and small flush. This knob is a constant source for chuckles. (In case you are wondering, the small flush is useless.)

Big things:

- The language barrier. People are really friendly, but unwilling to attempt to use their ten years of mandatory English lessons. For instance, communicating with our new labmates is virtually impossible. They are too shy to make a mistake, and I am not capable of learning conversational Japansese during my stay. Perhaps next time I should Berlitz it before coming to a different country.

- Sightseeing. I don't think I ever took the time to truly look around Boston, except when I have visitors. The past weekend V and I went to Peace Memorial Park and Peace Memorial Museum. (Imagine pictures of various memorial statues, bells etc..) I, also, have planned a myriad of trips around the country. Even though, I will be here for 2 months, I will not even get to see a tenth of what I want to see.

- The A-bomb. I work in the Research Institute of Radiation Biology and Medicine. All the major tourists sights surround are about the bomb, whether it be the sight of the explosion or the redreation of a castle because it was destroyed. The date August 6, 1945 (8:15am) has now been burned into my memory.

Small things:

- Vending machines. Without exageration, there is a vending machine at every street corner. Most of them have coffee, tea, and soda. Some sell cigarettes. Some sell beer. V and I tried the Sochi lemon highballs (it is like hard lemonade) from a vending machine a week ago, just to say we bought liquor from a vending machine. We also get our morning coffee at the Suntory vending machine next the work gate entrance. Because there are so many vending machines everywhere there is no need to carry water or such with you. Another weird fact about them is that people here do not drink or eat as they walk. There are recycling bins by the machine, and we have noticed many people drinking by the machine.

- Eating out. Of course, there are lots of restaurants in Boston, but it pales in comparison here. Also, many of them are very affordable. Their high-end restaurants are far above our price range. But for the everyday, the options are many and the quality good so that there is no guilt in dining out ... for every meal.

- Sweets. Along those food lines, I have been eating an inordinate amount of sweets here. Cakes, donuts, chocolates are are superior. Most of the time I have no idea what I am eating, having been lured by the attractive packaging. They have all been tasty. (However, do avoid the hard candies.) I am especially partial to the pound cake made in Hokkaido.

More to come....

3 comments:

Evil said...

by "little things" i thought you were going to mention some hookup action with the japanese boys.

Zandrea! said...

You should encourage your labmates to practice their English. Tell them that most people here don't speak proper English and especially in Boston it's hard to understand people. You could also tell them about our now defunct Spanish nights. I love the idea of vending machine alcohol! And, funny that you mention no one eats and walks...Rashmi and I were walking down Boylston pigging out on a bag of cookies and a toblerone the other day and agreed that we probably looked pretty hideous. Love your updates, Andrea

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.