Monday, August 17, 2009

When your opinions make you a bitch....

Topic: Michael Vick backlash.
Popular opinion: He is a scumbag. He should not be allowed back into the NFL.
My opinion: People are irrational. Why are people all up in arms about this guy? I would be okay with people being upset because he was involved in gambling, professional athletes can't cross that line. My issue is that everyone is angry because he was cruel and killed a bunch of dogs. Admittedly, this is the behavior of many serial killers, but as long as he is not killing a bunch of people I'll let it pass. These same people have no issue with meat, leather, or my area of expertise, animal research. Actually, these people don't even have an issue with Donte Stallworth or Pacman Jones. Why have we drawn the line at Vick? Is that going to be the new criteria for criminality, how much cuteness is harmed? Ridiculous.
Tangent: I am also maybe the only person in the state of California that voted to allow horse meat to be sold legally.

Topic: When is the right time to have babies?
Popular opinion: When a woman/man has found that perfect someone and both are well established financially and in his/her career.
My opinion: As close to their 20s as possible. When did we blind ourselves to basic biology? It is true women can have children into their 40s, but that normally occurs when it is not their first child. But having a first child, in your 40s will be statistically be difficult. (I'm talking statistics of a large population here, not anecdotes.) Women's fertility rapidly declines in their mid 30s unless there has been prior pregnancies. Luckily, with modern medicine there are IVF treatments to overcome that, but it can be a heartbreaking process. It infuriates me that we don't talk about these things in our society, because young women should be informed about the decisions they are making. In many east Asian countries if I repeated what I said here it would be fine, but among the overly educated American elite it is offensive. Really? The worst part is that they try to argue about it. These are facts. And lastly, children can survive a wide array of socioeconomic circumstances delaying the event does not make your child smarter, happier, more beautiful, or any less yours.
Tangent: Watch the movie Idiocracy.

Topic: Hypothetical sports match-ups
Popular opinion: Athletes of the past would be able to compete today.
My opinion: Don't be ridiculous. Athletes are far superior today than they were 30 years ago. That's just the way it goes. 30 years from now they will be better than the athletes today. I believe these match-ups are a complete waste of time.
Tangent: I really wish they showed less ESPN at bars, otherwise this topic would have never entered my radar.

7 comments:

And said...

WALL-E is the far superior Idiocracy.

evil said...

horse meat!? thats interesting. i wonder what horse meat tastes like. is it yummy?

you can get dog meat in china. i havent tried it yet. but people tell me that if i go to a restaurant that serves cuisine from the northeastern part of china, i'll definitely see dog meat on the menu.

i've never met anyone who has tried cat meat, but multiple people have said to me, "i bet cat meat tastes sour." that seems to be the general consensus among a bunch of people who have never tried it. isnt that strange?

Ray Lewis said...

What about me - how come Pacman & Donte made mention but not me??

Evil Twin #1 said...

I'm a B'more resident now. Saying something negative about a Raven could result in death.

evil said...

doing a lot of things can result in death in b'more. actually, doing nothing at all can result in death. so why not go for it! :)

Ray Lewis said...

You mean like eating raw horse meat?

Isabelle said...

Amen on the children bit. A senior woman at work said that to me when i was 21 and single. Her point was that it is better for your career to have children young - slowing down your career at 23 is easier than at 35 when you are trying to make MD / partner / whatever. Taking your foot off the pedal at that age is career ending. Totally believe her now!