Monday, October 03, 2005

Through the looking glass

Through out the years I have surrounded myself with fascinating individuals. Most of my friends share core values of loyalty, kindness and humor, and often little else. And while sometimes this makes my life a little difficult when bringing my friends together, the trade off of knowing such a diverse group of people is always worth any small aggravations. This weekend a close friend from high school got married. Attending this wedding was like walking through the looking glass. Its hard to say which world is the real one, since it boggles the mind think that both my version of reality and hers could coexist on one tiny planet.

Too many tales were amassed for one blog entry. Many of them entail me drinking way too much alcohol. And perhaps I should consider drinking less, as things did get a little out of hand when I grabbed the right buttock of one of the wedding attendees because his friend dared me. (Fortunately, he did not mind. Actually I think he thought I was hitting on him and he was hitting on me, but I have a bad sense of these things.)

But you can get a ET#1-getting-out-of-control story any time. The event(the wedding) and the other events (the tennis tourney, drinks etc..) were fun, but far more interesting was the environment in which they were set. My friend is from East Hampton, and for those of you who may not know, it is a an affluent resort town in New York. Well technically, it is a village but let's not get caught up with semantics. Luckily the wedding was off season so that most of the wealthy New York City vacationers were absent. However, enough were around to make people watching a main event.

Now it is true that I do not have the greatest self esteem when it comes to my appearance, but there is no greater blow to that esteem than being surrounded by flawless blond amazons. Amazons that are for the most part really fun and kind, and probably with procreate with their extremely wealthy husbands and spawn off another generation of beautiful people.

Which brings up self esteem buster #2. Every once in a while you get a tidbit of a conversation about how someone just bought a flat or a condo in London or Manhattan, and I would reel back thinking about how much money they had laying around. I told my sister this and she said now she understood who could afford some of the houses in California. (She and her husband were speculating that even if the two of them caught Osama bin Laden, whose reward for capture was 25 million, they still would be never be able to afford the property taxes on the house they bought with the money.)

Taking a step back, the people in the Hamptons were entertaining like they jumped out from the pages of a Judith Krantz novel. It was as if I glimpsed into the future in which entertainment will be fully interactive. I talked and they talked back. I told them about my research, they told me about places visit in the south of France. One woman had bandages on her 3 of her toes, and told me Jimmy Choo's always were painful, but weren't they worth it. I just nodded even though I did not think it was worth it.

I wish I had the energy to write about the sea of Mercedes, Jaguars, and Lexuses from people who live in a city with public transportation. I wish I had the energy to say that the joy of drinking top shelf liquor is that you are NEVER hungover the next morning. I am a little tired from my trip to the other side.

1 comment:

Zandrea! said...

Jimmy Choo's or not, my $30 black strappy Filene's basement shoes KILLED the other weekend at a bachelorette party, so much so that I asked permission from 2 nannies if it would be okay to walk home barefoot. On the dark street with the threat of broken glass. Note: not worth it no matter what!