Friday, August 19, 2005

Score[s]!

On Tuesday, BF and I met up with one of BF's college friends for dinner in TriBeCa at Bouley's Upstairs. Dinner was good, fairly reasonable priced, but took way too long. To make up for the hour long wait before our appetizers of salad--really, how long could it take to throw some lettuce in a bowl and toss it around with some other ingredients--they kept refilling our wine glasses to makeup for the delay (I like to blame this for the events that followed) caused by the New York Times photographer taking pictures of food that looked spectacular, but that no one got to eat. We left Upstairs 2.5 hours later. . . and we didn't even order any dessert. Good thing that I had snuck out of work early and we started our dinner at 6:30.

Speaking of naked, our walk back to the subway station took us past a place called New York Dolls. It was about 9:00 and it seemed way too early to head back to my apartment. I suggested (in jest) that we check out the dolls. BF then said that he heard that there are much better places to see naked ladies. I vetoed the Hustler Club which is located in midtown on the far West Side. I must admit, it has piqued my curiosity as I drive by it far too often when taking a cab up the West Side Highway to el barrio. We hopped on the C train and were headed uptown and I thought that was it, end of story. As we were approaching the 23rd St station, BF suggested that we check out the new Scores on the West Side. Last year for my 29th birthday after a tequila shot that put me over the edge, I ended up at the original Scores on the east side. That was my first time at such an establishment. BF had never been.
The only problem was we didn't know where Scores West Side was located, just that it was somewhere in the West 20's [as an aside, I don't know why a strip club would chose a location in the gayberhood that is Chelsea]. What to do?? Why, call our friend X-tian of course! He was perplexed by my call, but googled the location for us. When I asked if he wanted to join us, he paused for a moment and then said, sure. Who wouldn't want to go see naked ladies on a Tuesday night??
FYI, it's located on W 28th St and 10th Ave, quite a hike from the 23rd St station. Anyway, the place was practically empty--only about 10 patrons, but about 40 strippers milling about. After paying the exhorbitant cover charge ($30/person) we sat at a table and started talking. Funny thing is, we weren't even really that enthralled by the strippers--the conversation was more entertaining than they were. That is, until a very aggressive dancer named Maria, who informed me that she was from Espana, kinda bullied BF into buying me a lapdance. Then it was a free for all--we were swarmed by strippers. We pretty much had to beat them away with a stick. I felt kinda bad turning them down--except for the crazy Russian lady who just wouldn't leave us alone. She went on and on for about 10 minutes. BF and I learned that she lives in Toronto, Canada and is only down for the 2 weeks, then she heads back. She purportedly is taking classes in psychotherapy. I think she fancies herself some sort of love doctor. She doled out relationship advice and kept telling us that "[In a very heavy Russian accent] Men are sexual beings. They cannot help it. But it is ok. These other women are just toys. You have to let them play." I had to buy a lapdance for X-tian in order to get her to leave us alone.
We left at around midnight. I asked BF if it was worth the $10 beers and $30 cover. He said, not really. Good answer.

No comments: